The Association for Healthcare Environment (AHE), formerly known as the American Society for Healthcare Environmental Services (ASHES), announces the recipients of the 2010 Member Recognition Awards recognizing excellence in healthcare environmental services. Among the award winners announced at the annual conference include:
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Michael McCormack, CHESP
The ASHES Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to an individual that has positively impacted the healthcare environmental services field and the ASHES organization. The individuals selected for this honor are highly regarded among the professionals in the field.
- J. Owen Flynn Memorial Award: David Janik, CHESP, director, Paris Regional Medical Center, Highland Village, Texas
The Owen Flynn Memorial Award is presented to one who, without compensation or personal gain, performed a service or services to the benefit of their hospital, community, state, or country. This service may be in the form of community projects, civic work, or charitable service.
- James Wolfbrandt Mentor Award, John Fazio, CHESP, chief, Environmental Services Department, Atlanta Veterans Administration Medical Center, Ga.
The James Wolfbrandt Mentor Award recognizes an individual who has made a selfless commitment of their personal time and/or professional expertise to guide, encourage, and educate professionals in the field of environmental services or textile care.
- Environmental Stewardship Award: John Rota, CHESP, director. Environmental Services/Housekeeping, Concord Hospital, N.H.
The Environmental Stewardship Award is presented to an individual who has worked to preserve the environment through waste reduction, pollution prevention and/or mercury elimination.
- The Excellence in Safety and Quality Improvement in Environmental Services: Cristal VeStrand, manager of operations, Environmental Services, Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, Vt.
This award recognizes environmental services professionals making significant contributions to promoting understanding of the role of the environment in the spread, control and ultimate prevention of infectious agents. Recipients of this award demonstrate innovation, excellence, advances and best practices in personal and environmental hygiene.
All of the awards were presented Sept. 28, 2010, at the AHE Annual Awards Dinner taking place in National Harbor, Md.