FOMITES: SMALL RISK OR REAL THREAT? BY JOHN ROARK, PAGE 12
1. Nurkin S. Is the clinicians necktie a potential fomites for hospital acquired infections? American Society For Microbiology.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities. Feb. 4, 2004. pg. 71.
NATIONAL INITIATIVE STRIVES TO REDUCE SURGICAL SITE INFECTIONS, BY KELLY M. PYREK, PAGE 16
1. Bratzler DW and Houck PM. Antimicrobial prophylaxis for surgery: an advisory statement from the National Surgical Infection Prevention project. CID 2004:38(15 June).
CONSIDERATIONS FOR CHEMICALS AND AUTOMATED REPROCESSORS USED WITH FLEXIBLE ENDOSCOPES, BY LYNNE A. THOMAS, BSN, RN, CGRN, PAGE 22
1. American Society for Testing and Materials. (1994). ASTM standard for cleaning and disinfection of flexible fiberoptic and video endoscopes used in the examination of the hollow viscera (F-11- 1994). West Conshohocken, Pa.
2. Favero MS. (1991). Strategies for disinfection and sterilization of endoscopes: The gap between basic principles and actual practice. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 12(5), 279-281.
3. Martin MA and Reichelderfer M. (1994). APIC guidelines for infection prevention and control in flexible endoscopy. Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. American Journal of Infection Control, 22(1), 19-38.
4. Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates. (1996). The steps necessary to thoroughly clean and high level disinfect or sterilize immersible GI flexible endoscopes (2nd ed.). [Wall chart]. Chicago.
5. Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc. (2000) Standards for Infection Control and Reprocessing of Flexible Gastrointestinal Endoscopes [Monograph]. Chicago 6. Spach DH, Silverstein FE, and Stamm WE. (1993). Transmission of infection by gastrointestinal endoscopy and bronchoscopy. Annals of Internal Medicine, 118(2), 117-128.
7. Olympus America, Inc. (1999) Endoscope Reprocessing Manual. Lake Success, N.Y.
8. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. (2003) Multi-society Guideline for Reprocessing Flexible Gastrointestinal Endoscopes. SHEA Position Paper. Nelson et al. www.sterrad.com. Cidex OPA Solution Label Change
HEALTHCARE WORKERS, EMTS EXTEND THE FRONT LINES IN THE BATTLE AGAINST INFECTION, BY KRIS ELLIS, PAGE 26
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Respiratory Hygiene/ Cough Etiquette in Healthcare Settings. Dec. 17, 2003.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Clinical Guidance on the Identification and Evaluation of Possible SARS-CoV Disease among Persons Presenting with Community-Acquired Illness, Version 2. Jan. 8, 2004.