Proper hand hygiene remains one of the most effective and least costly ways to prevent and control healthcare-associated infections (HAIs). To raise awareness of the deadly risks associated with poor hand hygiene and encourage best practices among nurses and other healthcare professionals, the Association for periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) and 3M Infection Prevention have partnered in a hand hygiene campaign to reduce the risk of HAIs in the surgical setting.
Enter the “It’s In Your Hands” Video Contest now through Jan. 18, 2010. By creating a hand hygiene video, you and your facility will have a visual guide that demonstrates step by step best practices which can be used as a teaching tool to help your colleagues and staff reduce the risk of healthcare-associated infections in the surgical setting.
The AORN Recommended Practices Committee will review all video entries to select three finalists according to compliance with Recommended Practices for Hand Hygiene in the Perioperative Setting, AORN July, 2009. The judging panel will make their selection based on:
1. Demonstration of correct technique
2. Thoroughness, use of appropriate steps
3. Compliance with AORN Recommended Practices for Surgical Attire and other related Recommended Practices
The top three videos selected by the AORN Recommended Practices Committee will be posted to the AORN Web site for public voting from Feb. 2, 2010 until Feb. 22, 2010. The single finalist video that receives the most public votes will win the grand prize of a $5000 educational grant from 3M that can be redeemed for any AORN educational and reference materials, programs or services. The winning video will be announced publicly at AORN Congress in Denver, March 13-18, 2010. The winner need not be present to win.
1. Create a short, original video that correctly demonstrates one of the following hand hygiene techniques according to Recommended Practices for Hand Hygiene in the Perioperative Setting, AORN, July 2009
-- Hand rub for the operating room (less than two minutes’ video length)
-- Handwashing with soap and water (less than one minute video length)
-- Surgical scrub for the operating room (less than four minutes’ video length)
2. When your video is ready, go to www.youtube.com/AORNitsinyourhands, and follow the instructions to upload your video. See “Contest Submission” in the complete Rules, Eligibility and Submission Guidelines for more information on how to enter. The YouTube site will accept AORN Hand Hygiene videos through Jan. 18, 2010.