"The Making of the Modern OR," by Kathy Dix, page 16
1. HIPAA web site: www.cms.hhs.gov/hipaa. 08/16/02.
2. Kenyon TA, et al. Dedicated minimally invasive surgery suites increase operating room efficiency. Surg Endosc. 2001;15:1140-3.
"CDC's Endorsement of Alcohol Hand Rubs Launches New Era in Hand Hygiene," by Kathy Dix, page 24
1. Pittet et al. Ann Intern Med 1999, 130:126.
2. Boyce JM, Kelliher S, Vallande N. Skin irritation and dryness associated with two hand-hygiene regimens: soap-and-water handwashing versus hand antisepsis with an alcoholic hand gel. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000;21:442--8
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings: Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA Hand Hygiene Task Force. MMWR 2002;51(No. RR-16)
"In Hindsight: Reviewing Healthcare's Hurdles of 2002," by Kelli M. Donley, page 30
1. Public Health Dispatch: Vancomycin-Resistant Staphlococcus Aureus - Pennsylvania, 2002. APIC. October 11, 2002. www.apic.org/news/20021010vrsa.cfm
2. Interim Guidelines for Prevention and Control of Staphylococcal Infection Associated with Reduced Susceptibility to Vancomycin. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. July 1997. www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/10_20.pdf.
3. Nurse Reinvestment Act is "Step in the Right Direction' to Solving Nursing Shortage, Says Nurse. Service Employees International Union. July 23, 2002. www.seiu.org
4. Bill S.1864. Nurse Reinvestment Act. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:SN01864:@@@L&summ2=m&
5. Daw, J. Bioterrorism Preparedness Act Includes Funding for Mental Health. September 8, 2002. www.apa.org
6. Bill S.1765. Frist-Kennedy Bioterrorism Preparedness Act. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:HR03448:@@@X
"Ensure That Primary Prevention is Part of Your Needlestick Safety Program," by Marilyn Hanchett, RN, page 32
1. MMWR Recommendations and Reports, Guidelines for the Prevention of Intravascular Catheter-Related Infections, August 8, 2002/51 (RR10) p.8.
"Lobbying for Labels: Congressional Committee Discusses Legislation on SUD Reprocessing," by Kathy Dix, page 34
1. H.R. 3580, Bill Summary and Status for the 107th Congress. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.03580:.10/29/02.
2. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry and for FDA Staff: Enforcement Priorities for Single-Use Devices Reprocessed by Third Parties and Hospitals. www.fda.gov/cdrh/reuse/1168.html.10/01/02.
"Implementing a Reprocessing Program: Success Hinges on Planning," by Deborah Haley, RN, CNOR, MBA, page 38
2. Werner, Curt. "Waiting for the Tsunami: The Life of the Third-Party Reprocessor." Healthcare Purchasing News, June 2002.
3. Letter, Department of Health and Human Services, July 12, 2002. Accessed at http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g3406d.pdf on August 15, 2002.