The Healthcare Laundry Accreditation Council (HLAC) announces the 2012 HLAC board of directors. New HLAC chair, Rocco Romeo, set the direction at the first board meeting of the year on Feb. 1, 2012, by naming the HLAC Officers for 2012. The 2012 officers include:
- Chair - Rocco Romeo, chief operating officer, HLS Linen Services, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Vice Chair - Chuck Rossmiller, regional manager, Midwest, Crothall Laundry Services, Wheeling, Ill.
- Secretary/Treasurer - Robert Potack, vice president of operations, Unitex Textile Rental Services, Mt. Vernon, N.Y.
- Immediate Past Chair - Nancy Bjerke, APIC Practice Guidance Council, San Antonio, Texas
- Director-At-Large - Bradley J. Bushman, vice president of technical affairs, Standard Textile Co., Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio
"I am honored and excited this year with the strong dynamic leadership team as HLAC continues to expand and becomes a stronger organization," says Romeo. "Accreditation, standards and best practices have become increasingly important as healthcare professionals come under increased pressure for improved patient outcomes and increased satisfaction and ensuring appropriate infection control practices are adhered to. Laundries that seek accreditation do so voluntarily and raise the bar in demonstrating their commitment to healthcare customers and patients by promoting a culture of excellence and continuous process improvement."
Romeo adds, "In 2012, the board will continue to build on its past successes with the implementation of new HLAC Standards which include operating room linen standards. HLAC will also be expanding with accreditation planned for facilities in Canada and Mexico in 2012. HLAC has a board of experienced and knowledgeable individuals that are dedicated to advancing the mission and vision of HLAC and its commitment to promoting excellence in healthcare textile processing."
HLAC welcomes three new members to the 2012 HLAC board of directors:
- Gregory Gicewicz, president, Sterile Surgical Systems, Tumwater, Wash.
- Deborah R. Lark, chief operating officer, Portland Hospital Service Corp., Portland, Ore.
- John Scherberger, CHESP (represents AHE), president, Healthcare Risk Mitigation, Inc., Spartanburg, S.C.
The HLAC board of directors continuing their terms into 2012 are:
- Rick Kislia, chief operating officer, Crescent Laundry, Davenport, Iowa
- Bill Mann (represents TRSA), director of industry affairs, TRSA, Alexandria, Va.
- Lynne Sehulster, PhD, M (ASCP), health scientist, Prevention and Response Branch, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta
- Sandra J.Hensley, RN, MSEM, BSN, CIC, infection control oractitioner, University of Toledo Medical Center, Holland, Ohio