The Association for the Healthcare Environment (AHE) announces the recipients of the 2013 Recognition Awards for excellence in caring for the environment, volunteer service, mentorship and environmental sustainability.
• Phoenix Award sponsored by West Sanitation Services: The highest honor bestowed upon an AHE member, the Phoenix was presented to G. Robert Paine, CHESP, director of operations for Acuity Concepts, Plymouth, Mass., for his outstanding service and contributions to the growth and professionalism of AHE, for exceptional leadership and for demonstration of quality and excellence in the profession.
• J. Owen Flynn Memorial Award sponsored by Wexford Labs, Inc: Roger Dionne, floor care specialist for Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, Dover, N.H., was presented the J. Owen Flynn Memorial award for his service to his community by serving as the assistant coach to Marshwood High School Wrestling Team and the South Maine Trappers Wrestling Club for the past 30 years. He works with wrestlers ages 5 through 25. Flynn also is a member of the Lions Club and has served as the president of the Rollinsford/So. Berwick Lions Club for 10 years.
• James Wolfbrandt Mentor Award sponsored by Greater Philadelphia AHE: Michael Ginsberg, CHESP, Portland, Ore., received the James Wolfbrandt Mentor award. Ginsberg has committed his personal time, resources and professional expertise to mentor, coach and train staff that are responsible for caring for the healthcare environment, its related disciplines and textile care. Ginsberg has developed a video training program and written operational procedures to train his staff. Ginsberg also has facilitated multiple online learning courses for AHE and mentored more than 300 online learners.
• Environmental Stewardship Award sponsored by Thomas J Fitzgerald III, CHESP & Family: Paul Wayne Pattengill, director, environmental services and central transport services for Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital, Marshfield, Wis., received the Environmental Stewardship award for leading his hospital in their recycling efforts over the past twenty years. He started an Employee Stewardship Initiative in 2007 with efforts towards environmentally preferable purchasing, recycling and waste management, reduced use and waste of toxic substances, resource conservation and employee and community education programs.
• Excellence in Safety and Quality Improvement in Environmental Services sponsored by Clorox Healthcare: Memorial Medical Center Department of Environmental Services, Springfield, Ill., received the Excellence in Safety and Quality Improvement in Environmental Services award. The award was presented to Gabe Ceperich, director, environmental services, on behalf of the entire environmental services department. The department works to ensure excellence in their frontline staff through a computer-based training to learn the basics of microbiology, types of microorganisms, modes of transmission and standard and transmission-based precautions. Environmental services professionals attend hands-on training and regular retraining. The department also was recognized by the Illinois Department of Public Health and a national infection control organization for collaboration between infection prevention, nursing and environmental services to reduce healthcare acquired Clostridium difficile.
Additionally, the following company was recognized for its support as participants in the AHE sponsorship program:
10 year Participation: Jani-King International
Source: Association for the Healthcare Environment (AHE)