Oct. 20-26, 2013 is International Infection Prevention Week, and in celebration, the Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc. (SGNA) encourages practitioners to provide quality care this week and beyond with the help of SGNA's resources.
SGNA Position Statements and Standards and Guidelines address issues directly affecting the practice of gastroenterology nursing. Here is a selection of infection prevention-related documents:
- Guideline for the Use of High Level Disinfectants and Sterilants for Reprocessing of Flexible Gastrointestinal Endoscopes
- Standards of Infection Control in Reprocessing of Flexible Gastrointestinal Endoscopes
- Reuse of Single-Use Critical Medical Devices
SGNA also has announced the winter enrollment period of the Infection Prevention Champions Program, which will begin on Jan. 1, 2014. If you're interested in being a Champion, now is the perfect time to start the process of getting your unit enrolled. There are
three steps to enrollment:
- By Nov. 1, talk with your nurse manager about participating in the program.
- By Dec. 1, complete the scholarship application for the SGNA Associates Program.
- By Dec. 31, submit an application for winter enrollment in the Infection Prevention Champions Program.