Research and Markets' latest report, "The 30 Biggest Acute Hospitals In the North East United States" offers some interesting glimpses into healthcare operations:
- There are 5,815 registered hospitals in the United States with a total of 951,045 staffed beds.
- With 2,242 beds, New York-Presbyterian Hospital is the biggest hospital in the United States.
- The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania uses 3,000 surgical masks every day and purchased 450,000 pairs of sterile gloves in 2009.
- New York's Bellevue Hospital Center's Critical Care Services Unit is one of the biggest in the nation, measuring 56,000 square feet.
- Massachusetts General Hospital conducts the largest hospital-based research program in the United States, with an annual research budget of more than $400 million.
- The 30 hospitals in this report have an average bed capacity of 815.