THE USE OF HEALTHCARE FAILURE MODE AND EFFECT ANALYSIS TO REDUCE PERCUTANEOUS INJURIES IN THE OPERATING ROOM, BY STACY BOONE, RN, BSN, MSN; LEIGH ANN OVERSTREET, RN, BSN, MSN; KAY LINDGREN, PHD,RN; HARRIET WICHOWSKI, PHD, RN; AND SCOTT MADARIS, MSN, RN, PAGE 10.
1. Souhrada L. (1995). The blunt truth about sharps injuries in the OR. Materials Management Health Care.5:32-34.
2. Madaris S. (2002). The Basics of healthcare failure mode and effect analysis. Unpublished PowerPoint presentation. Hucheson Medical Center, Georgia.
3. Hodous T, Chiarello L, Deitchman S, Do A, Hamilton A, Huy J, Jenkins L, Maxfield A, Petsonk E, Sinclair R and Weber A. (2000). Preventing needlestick injuries in health care settings. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Public Health Service Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1-23.
4. Buckner C and Drake A. (2000). Hepatitis C. Infection Control, 8.
5. Hellinghausen M. (1999). Hepatitis C virus
strains the healthcare system.
6. Kovach T. (November/ December 1993). Controlling infection potentials when passing surgical instruments. TodaysOR Nurse, 15;35-38.
7. Garner J. (January/ February 1997). The evolution of universal precautions to standard precautions. Todays OR Nurse 14-18.
8. The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. (2002). Facts about the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. http://www.jcaho.org/aboutjc/facts.html
9. DeRosier J, Stalhandske E, Bagian J and Nudell T. (2002). Using health care failure mode and effect analysis: The VA National Center for Patient Safetys Prospective Risk Analysis System. Joint Commission, 5:248-265.
10. Sine D. (2002). The Basics of Healthcare Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA). Unpublished Power Point presentation for the Georgia Hospital Association
11. VA National Center for Patient Safety. (2002). Healthcare Failure Mode and Effect Analysis Course Materials (worksheets used with permission). http://www.patientsafety.gov/HFMEA_SAC.html
DANGERS OF SURGICAL SMOKE STILL PERSIST DESPITE AWARENESS CAMPAIGN, BY JOHN ROARK, PAGE 14.
1. NIOSH Hazard Control/Control of Smoke form Laser/Electric Surgical Procedures-HC11
3. Ulmer Brenda. Occupational Safety and Health Administration acts on guidelines for electrosurgical smoke. AORN Journal, June 1998 4.Dawes BG. Stop smoke campaign begins with you. AORN Journal. Nov. 2000
THE FACTS: WET PACKS AND PLASTIC ACCESSORY CASES, BY ROSE SEAVEY, RN, MBA, CNOR, ACSP, AND AN NUYTTENS, MSC, PAGE 18.
1. PolyVac: Premarket Notification [510(k)] PolyVac Surgical Instrument Delivery System
3. MAS: Comparative study of sterilizable instrument delivery systems produced by MAS
1. STERIS Inc. Preparing instruments, utensils and textiles for sterilization and wet pack solving, 2003.
2. Lautenschlager. Wissenwertes uber die Dampfsterilisation im Gesundheitswesen. Oct. 2002.
3. American National Standards Institute/Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, ANSI/AAMI ST46 :2002- Steam sterilization and sterility assurance in health care facilities.
4. American National Standards Institute/Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, ANSI/AAMI ST8: 2002- Hospital steam sterilizers.
5. Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation -AAMI TIR12: 1994, Designing, Testing and Labeling Reusable Medical Devices for Reprocessing in Healthcare Facilities: a Guide for Device Manufacturers.
6. Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) Pre-market Notification [510(k)] Submissions for Medical Sterilization Packaging Systems in Health Care Facilities.
ADD FLAIR TO YOUR JCAHO PREPARATION, BY CAROLYN RAMSEY, RN, MSN, CNOR, PAGE 41
1. Lieb S. (1991). Principles of Adult Learning.
Retrieved on May 12, 2003 from
2. Hill C. (April 2, 2003). JCAHO News Release retrieved May 6, 2003 from http://www.jcaho.org/news+release+archives/unannounced+surveys.htm.
3. Infection Control Preparation for JCAHO. Retrieved May 6, 2003 from http://wahoo.utmb.edu/jcaho/InfectionControlWebQues.pdf.
4. Treat Learners Like Adults. Retrieved on May
12, 2003 from