By: Thomas L. Kovach.
- Bryan JL, Cohran J. Larson E. Handwashing a ritual. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America. 1995 Dec: 7: (4) 617-24.
- Larson E. APIC guideline for handwashing and hand asepsis in health care settings. American Journal of Infection Control. 1995 August Vol.23 (4) 251-69.
- Kovach, T. Controlling infection through handwashing. Contemporary Long-Term Care. 1989 August, 42-50.
- Kovach, T. Freedom from the chain of septic flow: handwashing in infection control. The Journal of Practical Nursing. March, 1999 Vol XLVIIV, No 1 34-42.
- Larson, E. Skin hygiene and infection prevention: more of the same or different approaches? Clinical Infectious Diseases. 29(5):1287-94, 1999 Nov.
- Garner J., Favero M., CDC Guidelines for handwashing and environmental control. American Journal of Infection Control. 1986 June, Volume 14 (3), 110-129.
- Paulson, D. A second look at quaternary ammonium compounds as topical antimicrobials in the medical field. BioScience Laboratories, Inc., Bozeman, MT. Data Base on File--Soon To Be Published White Paper.
By Charles O. Hancock
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation Flash Sterilization: Steam sterilization of patient care items for immediate use, ANSI/AAMI ST37
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation Hospital Steam Sterilizers ANSI/AAMI ST8
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1999), Guidelines for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, April, pp247-278
- Private author correspondence, 2001
"Surgical Hand Scrubs"
By: Deborah Gardner and Ellen Anderson-Manz
Association of Operating Room Nurses, Inc, Recommended practices for surgical hand scrubs in Standards, Recommended Practices, and Guidelines (Denver: Association of Operating Room Nurses, Inc 2000).
Joanna R. Fuller, Surgical Technology, Principles and Practice (Third edition, 1994)
V Hingst et al, Evaluation of the efficacy of surgical hand disinfection following a reduced application time of 3 instead of 5 minutes," Journal of Hospital Infection Control 20 (February 1992)
DM Korniewicz, D P Rabussay, Surgical glove failures in clinical practice settings, AORN Journal 66 (October 1997)
D T Dooher, Surgical gloves: Measuring cost and barrier effectiveness, AORN Journal 55 (June 1992)
Price P B, New studies in surgical bacteriology and surgical technique. JAMA 111 1996
M F Fay, D T Dooher, Surgical gloves: Measuring cost and barrier effectiveness, AORN Journal 55 (June 1992)
- 3M Health Care. Low temperature sterilization technologies in the 1990s. Infection Control Rounds. 1993;16(3):9-11.
- Borneff M, Okpara J, Bodendorf M, Sonntag H-G. Validation of low-temperature plasma (LTP) sterilization systems-Comparison of two technical versions, the STERRAD 100, 1.8 and the 100S. Hygiene and Mikrobiologie. 1997;3:21-28.
- Borneff-Lipp M. Testing of a new technical version (STERRAD® 100S) of low-temperature-plasma (LTP)-sterilisation systems. Zentral Sterilization. 1998;6:113-121.
- Harris MH. Flash sterilization: Is it safe for routine use? AORN Journal. 1992;55(6):1547-1551.
- Jacobs PT. STERRAD® 100S Sterilization System. Irvine, Calif: Advanced Sterilization Products; 1997.
- Jacobs P, Smith D. The new STERRAD® 100S Sterilization System: Features and advantages. Zentral Sterilization. 1998;6:86-94.
- Rutala WA, Gergen MF, Weber DJ. Comparative evaluation of the sporicidal activity of new low-temperature sterilization technologies: Ethylene oxide, 2 plasma sterilization systems, and liquid peracetic acid. American Journal of Infection Control. 1998;26(4):393-398.
"The Benefits of Ultrasonics Cleaning."
By Lawrence F. Muscarella, PhD
- Muscarella L.F. Are all sterilization processes alike? AORN J 1998 May;67(5):966-976.
- Muscarella LF. Biopsy forceps: disposable or reusable? Gastroenterology Nursing 2001; in press.
- Bronowicki JP, Venard V, Botte C, et al. Patient-to-patient transmission of hepatitis C virus during colonoscopy. N Engl J Med 1997 July 24;337(4):237-40.
- Alvarado CJ, Reichelderfer M. APIC guideline for infection prevention and control in flexible endoscopy. Association for Professionals in Infection Control. Am J Infect Control 2000;28(2):138-155.
- Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates. Standards of infection control in reprocessing of flexible gastrointestinal endoscopes. Gastroenterol Nurs 2000 July-Aug;23(4):172-9.
- Macdonald G. Can the thermal disinfector outperform the ultrasonic cleaner? JADA 1996 Dec;127:17887-8.
- Muscarella LF. Ultrasonic cleaning. Surgical Service Management 1999 June;5(6):48-54.
- Weller RN, Brady JM, Bernier WE. Efficacy of ultrasonic cleaning. J Endodontics 1980 Sep;6(9):740-3.
- Bentley EM. the value of ultrasonic cleaners in dental practice. Br Dent J 1994;177:53-6.
- Eames WB, Bryington SQ, Suway NB. A comparison of eight ultrasonic cleaners. General Dentistry 1982 May-June;242-5.
- Carfruny WA, Brunick A, Nelson DM, et al. Effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning of dental instruments. Am J Dent 1995 Jun;8(3):152-6.
- Miller CH, Hardwick LM. Ultrasonic cleaning of dental instruments in cassettes. General Dentistry 1988 Jan-Feb;36:31-36.
- Simpson JP, Whittaker DK. Serum contamination of instruments in dental practice. Br Dent J 1979 Feb 6;76-8.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). Recommended infection control practices for dentistry, 1993. MMWR 1993 May 28;42(RR-8):1-12.
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI). Designing, testing and labeling reusable medical devices for preprocessing in health care facilities: A guide for device manufacturers. AAMI TIR No. 12, 1994.
- Miller CH, Riggen SD, Sheldrake MA, et al. Presence of microorganisms in used ultrasonic cleaning solutions. Am J Dent 1993 Feb;6(1):27-31.
- Warfield DK, Bryington SQ. Ultrasonic potentiation of the sporicidal activity of glutaraldehyde. Oral Surg 1982 Apr;53(4):342-6.