We conducted a survey of ICT readers to better understand the education needs of infection preventionists.
Knowing that research drives practice, which then impacts patient outcomes, the infection prevention and healthcare epidemiology is striving to improve its embrace of implementation science (defined by Eccles and Mittman as "the scientific study of methods to promote the systematic uptake of research findings and other evidence-based practices into routine practice"). Although federal agencies and professional societies have been churning out guidelines and standards for decades, practitioners have been struggling with what should inform daily practice and how the evidence should become accepted practice.
While Joint Commission standards require hospitals to identify those responsible for infection prevention and control programs, its up to the organization to determine staffing and skill mix based on hospital goals.
ICT spoke with Karen M. Anderson, MT, CLS, MPHc, CIC, infection preventionist at California Pacific Medical Center and chair of APICs Education Committee.
With 2010 coming to a close quickly, ICT presents the top news items and articles relating to professional development for infection preventionists, ranked in order of popularity based on Web clicks by ICT readers.
In ICTs first-ever State of the Industry Report presented earlier this year, survey respondents reported that 77 percent of them participate regularly or frequently in educational events such as conferences, Webinars and self-study courses, in order to improve their knowledge about infection prevention and control. But that leaves the 23 percent who indicated that they rarely engage in education-related activities are they becoming stagnant in their quest for life-long learning? And approximately one-third of survey respondents pointed to a lack of education as one of the biggest barriers to healthcare workers compliance with infection prevention practices.