OR WAIT null SECS
As part of an effort to simplify skin cleansing and improve compliance with protocols, Aplicare introduced its 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit at the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) Surgical Conference & Expo.
The new 2-in-1 CHG Skin Cleansing Kit includes the essentials for two pre-procedural CHG cleanses, tailored to meet recommendations set by AORN. The easy-to-use kit also includes tools to help patients understand why skin cleansing is important and how to use the product.
Many hospitals have protocols in place for chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) skin cleansing to reduce bacteria on the skin prior to surgery. Recent evidence-based scientific and clinical studies support preoperative skin cleansing as part of a comprehensive strategy to prevent Surgical Site Infections (SSIs).[1-3] Despite the prevalence of skin cleansing protocols, practices vary across hospitals and patients may not follow instructions correctly when cleansing at home. Poor compliance with skin cleansing guidelines and instructions can compromise the benefits. As a result, facilities often dedicate additional time and resources to ensure patients are cleansed and ready for surgery.
"Clorox Healthcare understands the barriers to compliant and effective skin cleansing, and our new 2-in-1 kit is designed to address them," says Laurie Hoachlander, senior healthcare marketing specialist for Clorox Professional Products Company. "Patients have a lot on their mind prior to surgery and can easily get overwhelmed. The Aplicare® 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit gives patients everything they need in one convenient, easy-to-use package to reduce bacteria on the skin prior to surgery. Distribution is easy for nurses as well – no need to turn to multiple drawers or storage cabinets. The kit includes all the necessities for CHG skin cleansing in one place."
The Aplicare® 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit offers the following:
•Designed for compliance with the recommended two CHG skin cleanses. Recent evidence-based scientific and clinical studies support pre-operative skin cleansing with CHG as an important component to reduce the risk of SSIs. Additionally, AORN recommends two showers with CHG prior to surgery.
•Provides patients and healthcare professionals everything in one place for convenient cleansing. Each kit consists of two single-use packs, attached via a perforated seal, with each pack containing a 4-ounce bottle of 4% CHG solution, three disposable washcloths and waterproof directions in a conveniently designed package.
•Drives patient compliance with simple cleansing instructions. Studies show that clear instructions play a key role in driving compliance with short-term medications, which is why each kit includes a bilingual, waterproof instruction card with illustrations and easy-to-read text that can be taken into the shower for easy reference. Patients can also access video instructions for the kit on Aplicare's website.
•Lends a cost-effective solution to help reduce hospital infections. Implementing a CHG Skin Cleansing Program can help hospitals build a comprehensive program for reducing SSIs.[6-7] The Aplicare® CHG Skin Cleansing Kit is more cost-effective on a per-wash basis compared to other CHG bottle kits and the leading 2% CHG cloth.
AORN has awarded the AORN Seal of Recognition to the Directions for Use and Educational Brochure associated with the kit. According to Lisa Spruce, RN, DNP, ACNS, ACNP, ANP, CNOR, director of evidence-based perioperative practice for AORN, the AORN Seal of Recognition confirms that the training materials that are part of Aplicare's 2-in-1 CHG Skin Cleansing Kit have undergone thorough review by AORN and are in alignment with the guidelines of the AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices for Preoperative Patient Skin Antisepsis. While not an endorsement, the Seal of Recognition is confirmation that the instructional content of the Aplicare® 4% CHG Skin Cleansing Kit program materials meet AORN guidelines.
Perioperative nurses have a strong need for pre-procedural education products that drive compliance with professional guidelines and correct product usage among patients. "Aplicare's 2-in-1 CHG Skin Cleansing Kit is convenient and training materials meet the association's standards for excellence in safe patient care," says Spruce. "Perioperative nurses can be confident in their training in its use."
To request a free sample and learn more, visit www.AplicareCleansingKit.com. Kit tutorials and prototypes will be available at the Clorox Healthcare booth (#5119) during the AORN Surgical Conference and Expo, March 30 through April 2, in Chicago. Video instructions for use are also available on the website.
1. Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN). "Recommended Practices for Preoperative Patient Skin Antisepsis." Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices (2012): 445-463.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Guideline for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999." Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 20, no. 4 (1999): 247-278. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/SSIguidelines.pdf.
3. Edmiston, C.E., et al. "Evidence for Using Chlorhexidine Gluconate Preoperative Cleansing to Reduce the Risk of Surgical Site Infection" AORN Journal. 92, no. 5 (2010): 509-518.
4. Edmiston, C.E., et al. "Evidence for Using Chlorhexidine Gluconate Preoperative Cleansing to Reduce the Risk of Surgical Site Infection" AORN Journal. 92, no. 5 (2010): 509-518.
5. Haynes, R. Brian, Helping Patients Follow Prescribed Treatment, American Medical Association, 2002.
6. Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN). "Recommended Practices for Preoperative Patient Skin Antisepsis." Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices (2012): 445-463.
7. Jarvis WR, et al., The Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Guidelines For Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology Vol. 20. No. 4. pg. 247-278. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (CDC). Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/SSIguidelines.pdf
Source: Clorox Professional Products Company