Clorox Professional Products Company, a division of The Clorox Company, announces today the introduction of Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes and Spray, a new line of ready-to-use, one-step cleaner disinfectants engineered with a patented activated hydrogen peroxide formula. These activated hydrogen peroxide products are registered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to kill 32 bacteria and viruses in 30 seconds to one minute, the fastest non-bleach contact time available.(1)
Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products are noncorrosive, compatible with many healthcare surfaces and medical equipment and are recommended for daily surface disinfection facility-wide. Bleach is also recommended for daily disinfection and is particularly important for dealing with C. difficile infections. The new activated hydrogen peroxide products complement Cloroxs bleach and quaternary-based portfolio of healthcare products.
Healthcare professionals told us they needed disinfectants that work fast and are efficient, compatible with healthcare surfaces and comfortable for use by cleaning staff as well as around patients, says Beata Grabowski, director of marketing for Clorox Professional Products Company. We listened to our end users and created a technical breakthrough in daily disinfection, offering speed, compliance, value and excellent product aesthetics to help healthcare professionals fight healthcare-associated infections (HAIs).
Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes and Spray offer:
- The fastest disinfecting technology since bleach: Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products use unique activators to deliver H2O2 directly into organisms cells for the fastest non-bleach contact times available. Most bacteria and viruses are killed in 30-seconds to one minute, including dangerous bacteria that cause HAIs like S. aureus, K. pneumoniae, A. baumannii, P. aeruginosa and Enterobacter aerogenes. The products are also registered to kill norovirus, a claim some leading competitors lack.
- Superior value and compliance: Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products cover and disinfect greater surface area with fewer wipes, which reduces costs for healthcare facilities. Wipes meet all bacteria and virus contact times with one wipe, helping ensure compliance for better patient outcomes.
- Excellent aesthetics and fragrance free: Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products have a light, naturally-occurring scent for optimal patient and staff comfort, do not have harsh chemical odors or fumes and are formulated for use facility-wide in the most sensitive patient areas.
- Broad healthcare surface compatibility: Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products are non-corrosive and do not leave residues that can damage equipment over time. They also are recommended for use on hard, non-porous surfaces such as stainless steel, vinyl, painted metals, glass, baked enamel, chrome, glazed tile, glazed ceramic, glazed porcelain, porcelain enamel, laminated surfaces, plastic and sealed fiberglass.
Modern EPA-registered hydrogen peroxide disinfectants are an excellent compound to use routinely throughout the hospital but consideration should be given to using a sporicidal agent in rooms of patients with C. difficile infection, says William Rutala, PhD, MPH, director of hospital epidemiology at UNC Health Care System. Hydrogen peroxide acts quickly against major pathogens, is odorless and is safe to use on most healthcare surfaces. When hydrogen peroxide disinfectants are EPA-registered to kill pathogens and are used properly, they can help to fight the spread of infections in healthcare environments.
The technology in Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products differs greatly from the hydrogen peroxide products available to consumers. These Clorox products combine hydrogen peroxide with activators, stabilizers and surfactants to offer fast efficacy against dangerous microbes. Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide products are registered with the EPA as disinfectants, a requirement for any product labeled as a disinfectant. Most hydrogen peroxide products available to consumers are not registered disinfectants.
Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes and Spray will be ready for shipment in early March 2012. The wipes are offered in multiple packaging options designed for clinical surfaces (6.75-inch x 5.75-inch wipes, 155 count), multipurpose use (6.75-inch x 9-inch wipes, 95 count), terminal cleaning (12-inch x 11-inch wipes, 185 count and refill) as well as in a 32-ounce spray and a 128-ounce economical refill. For more information or to request complimentary product samples, visit www.cloroxhealthcare.com.
1. Based on 30-second bacteria and virus contact times for disinfecting on Federal master labels of leading healthcare wipes as of 10/1/11.